Only one person supports Meadowbank plan at packed Community Council meeting

Local newspaper the Evening News was thrown out of a Community Council meeting last night as officials tried to prevent residents from voicing their opinions about plans to downsize Meadowbank Stadium and build hundreds of homes on the site.
 
It was standing room only as almost 100 people heard what was intended for Meadowbank and ended with a show of hands that revealed only one person present was in favour of plans prepared by Edinburgh Council.
 
Geoff Pearson, secretary of Northfield/Willowbrae Community Council began by explaining the meeting was to gauge the views of local residents, not the wider Edinburgh community. He explained the press had been told to leave the meeting because “we are not looking for publicity. We are looking for a decent piece of writing we are putting together for the planning committee to consider.”
 
The meeting then heard from Graeme Crowser, lead officer with Edinburgh Council who explained how the plan had developed. He said: “It was never going to be a like-for-like development. The focus is on a regional centre to serve Edinburgh and the East of Scotland.” He explained demolition will start in spring with construction likely to start in the autumn.
 
Alistair McArthur of Edinburgh Council housing’s team said there were three sites in the plan which included approximately 360 houses with a minimum of 35% allocated to what he termed “affordable housing”.
 
Members of the audience were then invited by Geoff Pearson to ask what he deemed “factual questions”. Several people who attempted to voice opinions were told only factual questions would be permitted.
 
A breakout session followed during which audience members were invited to write on post-it notes and place them on the wall. The meeting then concluded with a brief Q&A session and a vote which revealed all bar one audience member was against the plan.
 
Last month two planning applications were submitted on behalf of Edinburgh Council. A proposal to change the use of the site from open space/recreation to housing/commercial attracted 397 comments on the Edinburgh Council planning portal of which only 77 (or 19.4%) were supportive. The proposal to build a smaller sports centre attracted 314 comments of which only 85 (or 27.1%) were supportive. Edinburgh Eastern MSP Ash Denham was among those who objected.
 
Campaign website www.savemeadowbank.wordpress.com lists concerns about the plans. The next Save Meadowbank campaign meeting will be on Tuesday 6 March 2018 at St Margaret’s House starting at 19:00.
Advertisements

Local MSP lodges formal objection to Council plan for Meadowbank

Local MSP Ash Denham has lodged a formal objection to Edinburgh Council’s plan to downsize Meadowbank Stadium and replace much of the site with housing.

Last month two planning applications were submitted on behalf of Edinburgh Council. A proposal to change the use of the site from open space/recreation to housing/commercial attracted 397 comments on the Edinburgh Council planning portal of which only 77 (or 19.4%) were supportive. The proposal to build a smaller sports centre attracted 314 comments of which only 85 (or 27.1%) were supportive.

Now the MSP for Edinburgh Eastern has joined those objecting to the Council plan. The SNP MSP has raised the plight of Edinburgh City Football Club, a general lack of football pitches in the area, insufficient parking and the loss of trees.

She wrote: “If this design is accepted it will force Edinburgh City FC to stay on the ground it shares in Leith, taking it away from its cultural and historical home and have a detrimental effect on the local economy.

“The loss of 150 mature trees is another consideration and is raising complaints from constituents in the neighbouring area. The surrounding area is very built up with very little greenery. Could these, healthy, mature trees, not be saved and perhaps relocated where necessary?

“There will be a lack of provision of football pitches for the local area. This leaves a huge geographical area competing for access to one or two pitches. Given that the pitches at the Jack Kane Centre are mostly out of use due to Health and Safety issues and that Portobello Pitz will be closed, there will be a vacuum as far as available football for the community. With health and physical activity pivotal to improving futures for children in Edinburgh, any restriction such as this would be unacceptable.

“The parking provision at the stadium is also insufficient. There is insufficient parking in the locality with many adjacent roads suffering from double parking and parking on pavements. To reduce the amount of available parking for the stadium further, while also building ‘accessible’ properties for elderly or disabled persons adjacent to the new stadium will amplify this issue.”

Campaign website www.savemeadowbank.wordpress.com lists concerns about the plans

Less than 20% support Council plan for Meadowbank

The plan to downsize Meadowbank Stadium and replace much of the site with housing has been dealt a blow with it being supported by less than one in five respondents at the first stage of the planning process.

Last month two planning applications were submitted on behalf of Edinburgh Council with a deadline of 23 February for passing comment.

A proposal to change the use of the site from open space/recreation to housing/commercial attracted 397 comments on the Edinburgh Council planning portal of which only 77 (or 19.4%) were supportive. The proposal to build a smaller sports centre attracted 314 comments of which only 85 (or 27.1%) were supportive.

Campaigners today welcomed these figures. “Most people do not want the land sold for housing, especially when the number of sporting facilities is being significantly reduced.” said Save Meadowbank spokesperson Linda Furley. “That was a view expressed repeatedly when Edinburgh Council last tried to downsize Meadowbank and remains the same now.”

A public meeting to hear views on the plans for Meadowbank has been arranged by Craigentinny Community Council and will take place on Tuesday evening at St Margaret’s House, starting at 19:30.

Campaign website www.savemeadowbank.wordpress.com lists concerns about the plans.

Meadowbank tower blocks will overshadow bungalows say Marionville residents

Local residents have criticised Edinburgh Council for proposing to replace Meadowbank Stadium with tower blocks that overlook an area populated with bungalows.

Last month two planning applications were submitted on behalf of Edinburgh Council to demolish Meadowbank Stadium. One application seeks permission to change the land from outdoor/recreational use to housing/commercial. Under the plan over 300 properties will be built on part of the site that is mainly open space. Many buildings will be 8 storey with at least one due to be 12 storey.

“These tower blocks will overlook and completely overshadow the streets around Marionville Avenue,” said Save Meadowbank spokesperson Linda Furley.

“Much of this is on open land. The sports centre is some distance away and shielded from view by mature trees, all of which the Council plans to destroy in order to fit in these tower blocks.

“When Meadowbank Stadium was built in the 1960s the grandstand was deliberately built on the south of the site so as not to impact upon flats in Marionville Road. Trees were placed along the northern boundary yet under the Council’s plans they will also go. Instead of overlooking woodland and a sports centre people will be staring straight into another row of tower blocks.”

Comments about the proposed development should be lodged with Edinburgh Council by 23 February 2018 with further details available at www.savemeadowbank.wordpress.com.

Submit your comments on the Council’s proposals for Meadowbank

Comments on the Council’s proposals for Meadowbank need to be submitted by this Friday (23rd of February).

You can view and comment via the Council’s planning website:

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/centralDistribution.do?caseType=Application&keyVal=P2LQCKEWHY800

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/centralDistribution.do?caseType=Application&keyVal=P2G6DJEWHU900

Our concerns about the proposals are listed on our website and also in our downloadable leaflet (pdf).

Get in contact if you have any questions.

Council failed to consult most residents about its finalised plan for Meadowbank

Residents have criticised Edinburgh Council for failing to inform them about its controversial plan to replace Meadowbank Stadium with housing and a much smaller sports centre.

Last month two planning applications were submitted on behalf of Edinburgh Council to demolish Meadowbank Stadium. One application seeks permission to change the land from outdoor/recreational use to housing/commercial. The other seeks permission to build a smaller sports centre on part of the current site. Comments about the proposed development have to be lodged with Edinburgh Council by 23 February 2018.

Only 450 properties on streets within metres of the Stadium boundary were informed. The vast majority of streets around the Stadium were not contacted. Just 3 other properties in the rest of Edinburgh were told.

“The first many residents knew what was happening was when campaigners started knocking on their doors and delivering leaflets,” said Save Meadowbank spokesperson Linda Furley.

“This isn’t a minor planning alteration that will affect only a handful of people. It is a large-scale development that will have a significant impact on the local community and sports people from all over Edinburgh.

“There are thousands of properties that directly overlook Meadowbank Stadium yet the Council thought it appropriate to inform just 450 of them what was happening.

“It’s all very well for the Council to tell its friends in Community Councils and the media. That only gets a very limited coverage. For something like this far more people should have been informed and a public meeting should have been arranged by Edinburgh Council at the time the plans were finalised.

“In November 2016 two drop-in sessions were held at Meadowbank Stadium to allow people to comment on preliminary plans. As part of that process the Council said it would lodge a planning application early the following year.

“We heard nothing from the Council all year so obviously thought the concerns raised had been taken on board and the plans shelved. Yet 15 months later we are expected to quickly go through 141 documents almost 300MB in size on the Council website, digest the content and comment within a matter of days.

“For most people that is simply impossible and a complete farce.

“We encourage people to contribute to the planning process and make their views known even if only to say they haven’t had enough time to take it all in. Further details are available on website www.savemeadowbank.wordpress.com”.

Picnic on the Meadow

Campaigners today held a picnic in landscaped public space that is under threat by controversial plans to redevelop and build hundreds of homes on Meadowbank Stadium.

Last month two planning applications were submitted on behalf of Edinburgh Council to demolish Meadowbank Stadium and replace it with housing and a smaller sports centre. One application seeks permission to change the land from outdoor/recreational use to housing/commercial. The other seeks permission to build a smaller sports centre on part of the current site. Comments about the proposed development should be lodged with Edinburgh Council by 23 February 2018.

Event organiser Simone Melanie said: “Meadowbank is about more than just a sports centre. It is valuable, open, green space which is used by many people from all walks of life.

“This landscaped area contains dozens of healthy mature trees that are under threat of destruction at the request of Edinburgh Council.

“Over 160 trees live on the Meadowbank site including Wheatley Elms which are an extremely rare and irreplaceable species. Plans include the felling of over 150 of the trees.

“If the trees and this landscaped area go then never again will it be possible to have a picnic like we did today.”

Comments about the proposed development should be lodged with Edinburgh Council by 23 February 2018. Campaign website www.savemeadowbank.wordpress.com lists concerns about the plans.